About

QUINTA DA ESPERANÇA

Quinta da Esperança is located in Cuba, Beja District, Baixo Alentejo, Portugal. It is a manor house dating from the end of the 16th century. There are records of its existence already in the middle of 1595.
With four floors and more than 200 divisions, it was erected by the family Sebolinhos de Barahona, an influential family of the region that transformed the whole area around it in one of the largest wheat fields of the Alentejo, and, why not say, of Portugal, creating the Morgado da Esperança from 1750.
After several marriages with other Portuguese families and even coming from other parts of the globe, the title of 1st Count of “Esperança” is created by decree of September 22, 1878 of King D. Luis I of Portugal, thus initiating a county of five generations of Counts and Viscounts that exist to this day.
The property, being a dwelling for the nobility, had the privilege of hosting three elements of the Portuguese Royal Family: Queen D. Maria II, King D. Pedro V and King D. Luís, on their travels to the city of Beja , as well as having received in his dependencies other royalties, such as King D. Humberto of Italy.
Acquired in 2015 by a couple of Portuguese, the house is currently in the recovery phase. Based on photos, documents and testimonies, all the rooms and the surrounding gardens are being renovated so that they are as close as possible to the image they would have in their golden age: late nineteenth century. At the moment, 25 rooms can already be visited.
The house contains dozens of tile panels, frescoed mural rooms, an inner chapel with Joanina carving and oil paintings, a functional nora for drawing water from the basement, aqueducts, among other historical curiosities. A place worth visiting in order to feel what was a manor house in the Baixo Alentejo in the mid 1900s.

CASA MUSEU 

QUINTA DA ESPERANÇA

Copyright © 2019 | Casa Museu Quinta da Esperança | All rights reserved.